Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Cody-pult

(Originally ran in the early portion of the 2013 season, though the specific week escapes me...)

Me and my brother B-rad, as recounted in past tales, were nothing but little badasses coming up in our old neighborhood. This neighborhood was not the worst, but it wasn’t the best either. Working poor, and racially diverse for the most part. There were some rental houses throughout the hood, and we long-timers always liked to poke around whenever a new family moved into a nearby lease property.

Now I must offer a brief aside to explain myself. As is the case with many of my hoodoo, I end up looking a little badass by the time the yarn is unspun. I had never thought of this particular incident which I am about to relate as an embarrassing one…until I recounted it to the horrified and confused countenances of my co-workers. “You are horrible,” “You really ARE evil!,””You should be ashamed, taking advantage of a little kid!” That was the general consensus from my co-workers, who I’ve since realized are really a bunch of humorless prudes any way. But, alas, their reaction impressed upon me that I should have been embarrassed, so after receiving that reception, I did what any good RBR’er would do: I ran to type my newly mined shameful hoodoo fare. So without any ado, I offer you this recounting.

One summer, we watched as what appeared to be a band of hippies ferried their furniture into one such rental house. This “furniture” consisted primarily of old wooden telephone cable spools (tables), a few folding chairs, mattress and box springs, assorted milk crates full of record albums and I assume, since they were hippies, patchouli and wicker and bongs and Credence and such. But I digress, for this is not a dissertation into the minimalist nature of hippie feng shui. No, no, this is a tale of the brutality of middle-city youth and the horrors wrecked on their surrounding communities by the specter of summer boredom. And meanness…have to throw meanness in there somewhere.

Back to our new neighbors…we quickly noticed the Hippie Family Robinson had in tow a young hippie. Like hungry wolves watching lambs led through a narrow mountain pass, B-rad and I savored the opportunities that awaited us. The hippie kid looked to be younger than us by a few years. Perfect for manipulation. Though I have forgotten the exact age due to the advancing march of years, I would put myself around age 12, B-rad falling somewhere around 8 or 9. We saw the hippie kid playing in the yard a few days after his move-in, and decided to see if he wanted to come play football with us in the street. (Yes, in the street.)

“Well I don’t know if my mom will let me, and I don’t know how, I’ve never played football before.” Astutely, thanks to the young hippie’s accent, his apron-clinging and his open admission of football ignorance, we perceived that he was most likely from the North. We were surprised to find out, upon further interrogation, that the young man was from Louisiana. We pronounced it “Loo-zana,” and he kept correcting us. “Lew-eez-eee-anna” he’d say after each time we massacred the state name. Come to find out later, to lend credence to our original supposition, his parents were from Ohio. Enough said. We also learned that his name was Cody, which was a name fit for a hippie, by my estimation. Hippie or a cowboy, I reckon.

Cody began to come to our house to play ball and ride bikes, you know, the kind of stuff kids today eschew for things digital. And since he was some bit younger than us, we began to plot against him. Not in a harsh mean-spirited way, but rather in a more mellow mean-spirited way. We’d tell him we wanted to play hide and seek, and let him hide first. Somewhere between the hiding and the seeking, we’d disappear. He was persistent though, stayed hid once for better than two hours until Mrs. Hippie blew her ram’s horn, or whatever the hell their ilk do to signal yunguns that the dinner of tofu, bean sprouts and kombucha awaits.

Cody ended up being a lot of fun, simply because he was so good-natured and unassuming. Even though we’d hang him out to dry, he’d always come back for more, never uttering a mean word, accepting the fate the “hateful heathens that live in the curve” (that was us!) would cast down upon him. There was the time we convinced him to jump off of our roof. Liability be damned, it sounded like a good enough idea at the time. Plus, me and B-rad jumped off the room all the time, no big deal. When he hit the ground, he curled into a little pellet of crying fetal material, rolled up like a dying roly-poly after a rainstorm. We’d just tell him, “No, no Cody, it’s alright. All Southern kids have to do that, it’s your test. You passed! Yay!” Various “tests” provided hours of humor through the course of my young life. And I thought kids hated tests. Go figure.

B-rad and I had been tinkering with an idea of our own, even before the young hippie had the misfortune of meandering into our lives. We dreamed of the day that we would be able to one day build a human catapult. Now granted, we were both big ole boys. Takes a good bit of grocery heft to get yunguns like me and B-rad airborne. We constructed our device from a discarded 2x6 harvested from the wood pile behind my neighbors shop. We tried several fulcrums:  tin coffee can, unsplit firewood, an old lawnmower motor. Finally, we settled on a hunk of rounded off concrete, I believe it had previously been employed in holding a fence post rigid in the ground.

Try as we did, nothing could get our big asses in the air. We knew the catapult design was sound, but something in the physics, namely our corn-fed, genetically-altered asses, were not built for flight of any kind. So when we met Cody, we decided that he would be the Neil Armstrong of Larkwood Drive, the first space traveler launched from our human catapult. Or as it became known, the Cody-pult.

Now, young Cody was a hippie, but he was not a dumb one. He knew that most of our enthusiastically sold bright ideas ended in some sort of pain for him. This one was no different.
“I-I-I…I don’t know you guys,” he said. “I don’t think my mom would like this one.”
“Ah, com’on man, don’t be a vaj,” said B-rad, ever the diplomat. “Do it, you’ll get to be an astronaut!” You want to be an astronaut don’tcha?”

Cody lit up. I think he saw it as a chance at greatness, or at the very least, a chance for acceptance. Always willing to leverage the low self-esteem of a playmate for our enjoyment, we persistently encouraged him. He finally consented, to our delight.
Now we had our astronaut. I want to take a moment to explain the physics of this operation in more detail. So the 2x6 was placed astride of the concrete chunk, teeter-totter style. Like a seesaw, in other words. The hypothesis behind our initial experiments involved B-rad standing on the launch end, and me, since I was bigger, jumping with varying degrees of force on the up end of the seesaw. But B-rad and I were too close in size, and he’d get a little lift, but nothing that would launch him clear of the platform. I’d try jumping from a chair, and once we set it up so I could jump from the roof onto the launcher. But alas, my aim wasn’t great, so I couldn’t hit the sweet spot from that height.
Cody was the perfect solution. He was tiny, he was all wickets, and his participation allowed both B-rad and I to jump on the launch end, thus doubling our thrust while reducing the weight of the payload.

Our burgeoning space program was about to leap to the next level. If only we’d known how high that leap would be…

T-minus 10 second sto lift-off. Things were set. Cody was in place, trembling and attempting to back out. We, in his best interest of course, would not allow such lily-liveredness. After all, a man only gets so many opportunities at greatness…one must seize the day!

B-rad and I took our positions, and the countdown began. 10…9…8… Cody cried out, “Guys, I-I-I…”

“3…2…1…,ignition!” We jumped down on the up end of the seesaw, and the thrust was incredible. 

At first I had looked down to mind my foot placement on the launcher, but as Cody sailed over my head, I looked up. It seemed to happen in slow motion, “…YOU GUYYYYSSSS!?!...” The look on his face was one of sheer terror, as if he’d seen his hippie mama’s ghost spraying Round-up on her beloved ruby begonias.

Let’s just say B-rad and I had not accurately forecast the physics of our little experiment, as Cody achieved a height that, while short of orbit, was terrifyingly close in my young eyes. Still in slow-motion, I was already thinking of ways to explain this as an accident. One has a tendency to exaggerate space and time when viewing it with a young mind, but I swear he was 20 feet in the air, and his trajectory created a parabola of epic proportions. I’m no mathematician, but I didn’t have to be a NASA flight tech to see that the splashdown of this extended and unexpected flight path would put the young hippie into the hedge of Chinese holly bordering our back porch.

That was the first correct assessment of the situation I had made all day. I mean, the kid’s hang time was in the 4.5’s, easily. He covered some ground, possibly even heated up on re-entry. The wail he let out when he crashed into the holly’s hedge of pricks (which coincidentally, is the name of the Texas A&M booster association), was epic. Banshee-like, reverberating, Mama Hippie-summoning. The last thing you want to do is deal with a mad mama hippie, as they tend to be protective of their young. (Free tip, could save your life one day. You don’t have to thank me.)

It was awesome, had it not been so horrifying. The kid had as many pricks in him as Christina Aguilera on prom night. For the uninitiated, aside from Pyracantha, Chinese holly is the most awful cultivar of plant ever devised by the sick and twisted minds of horticulture (looking at you, Barn.) Each leaf has eight spines…EIGHT SPINES! Kid looked like he got put in a figure four leg lock by a roll of barbed wire. Cut to shreds. Battered, bruised, broken. Nothing worse than a broken hippie, they make these weird sucking, sobbing noises. Very off-putting.

Ultimately, we never got in any trouble for that incident. I promised the battered astronaut that I’d include him in the weekly paper I wrote out and distributed to neighbors. His claim to fame, The Terra-Dome’s First Astronaut!

The moral of the story: you can’t trust the White Devil. And hippies are not aerodynamically sound.


RTR

No comments:

Post a Comment